In many places in the world there is a constant buzzing sound outside that confirms summer is here. For us there are two constant buzzing sounds: the air conditioner running outside and the cicadas. We've known summer has been here for awhile now. When we walk out the door at 7 am and the temp reads 98 degrees, its pretty obvious. But I remember (or thought I remembered) the cicadas coming out earlier than July. So I have been wondering when they were going to pop their large winged insect bodies out to the world again. Sure enough on Tuesday I heard them singing their buzzing tune. So, they are out making their noises.
Now I'm wondering how long it will be until that "sprinkling" sensation happens when you walk under the trees here. This too is something that happens in the summer down here. I've never gotten a clear answer on what it actually is. I have heard two things. One being that its the cicadas "peeing" and two that its from the trees because its so hot that the sap is forced out of the tree, both of which I find hard to believe. The wetness is never sticky nor is there much of it, barely enough to even notice, but it does definately happen. But anyways, here's to summer and all of its sensations! (If you do a search on cicadas you learn some interesting information but I still have yet to find this answer)
Thursday, July 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment